Are you looking for things to do in Flagstaff in October? You’ve come to the right place! There is still plenty of things to do in Flagstaff such as festivals, events, hikes, and enjoying the fall colors. Check out a summary of the best things to do in Flagstaff in October.
Flagstaff Weather in October
Flagstaff temperatures during the fall months can vary dramatically. In October, we can easily see temperatures in the high 70’s down to the 50’s and nights can drop all the way into the 20’s. However, the average temperatures are fairly predictable.
Towards the beginning of the month, we will typically experience daytime highs in 60’s and low 70’s and nightime lows in the low 40’s and down into the 30’s with a first freeze likely. Towards the end of the month, the daytime temperatures will typically drop into the high to low 50’s and nighttime temps will brings us into the 30’s and even into the high 20’s. It’s not unlikely that we will see our first cold weather storms in October, and it has been known to snow on Halloween so plan your costumes accordingly.
The last weather pattern that is highly likely in October, is wind. When dressing to enjoy Flagstaff in October, and the rest of fall and winter for that matter, the #1 how to dress tip is to layer.
Enjoy Flagstaff Fall Colors
Check out the Flagstaff LEAFometer on the Flagstaff CVB website for info on the status of changing leaves around town.
- Depending on the year, you can enjoy the leaves changing colors all around Flagstaff throughout October.
- The leaves will begin to change in late September at higher elevations and move down in altitude throughout October.
- Some areas and hikes to enjoy the changing leaves are: Aspen Corner, Lockett Meadow and the Inner Basin, Kachina Trail, Mount Humphreys, Veit Springs trail, Griffith Springs, Campbell Mesa, Sandy Seep, and Hart Prairie …. Or really anywhere!
- Enjoy a birds eye view of the changing leaves without the hassle of searching for a great spot.
Annual Things To Do In Flagstaff In October
- The Flagstaff Star Party typically takes place in early October over a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from sunset to dark.
- The event takes place at Buffalo Park and includes sunset talks, telescope viewings, and presentations.
- The event is FREE! However, some workshops require preregistration and may require a small fee.
- The Flagstaff Oktoberfest usually takes place during the beginning of the month.
- The event takes place in Wheeler Park in Downtown Flagstaff.
- They offer entertainment like live music and contests and have a great assortment of food, beer, and other beverages.
- Tickets are under $20, discounted for youth, and kids 12 and under free. Kids and leashed, friends pets are welcome.
- The Flagstaff Farmers Market runs every Sunday throughout the summer and it ends the third Sunday in October!
- The event is every Sundays from 8am to 12pm at the City Hall Parking Lot
- Check out our Guide to the Farmers Market video on YouTube.
- The Arboretum Pumpkin Walk & Fall Fest usually occurs towards the end of the month in the late afternoon and early evening.
- There will be a small entrance fee and some of the additional activities will require purchase of a ticket, kind of like a fair, to participate.
- Activities include hayrides, costume contest, spooky stories by campfire, hot cocoa, cider, food, and more.
- Note: In 2018, the night before on October 26th you can go to the Lumberyard Brewery for the Bring a pumpkin, carve a pumpkin event. By participating you can receive free activity tickets for the fall fest on the 27th. If you are reading this in 2019 or later, be sure to check the arboretum website for details.
- The NAU Festival of Choirs typically takes place towards the end of October at the Ardrey Auditorium on Campus.
- All of the various, talented NAU choirs perform for the community.
- Events are offered around town throughout the month.
- Take the kids downtown for this FREE Event!!
- Activities include trick or treating at local businesses, a pumpkin patch, games, crafts, a fashion show, and costume contests.
Flagstaff Tours in October
- Riordan Mansion offers special fall/Halloween oriented tours in Late October. Reservations are required.
- Tours will feature haunted stories about the Riordan Mansion and other areas in Arizona.
- Oftentimes there are haunted walking tours of downtown Flagstaff offered throughout October.
- Check out Flag 365 website for any that pop up.
Take a Day Trip From Flagstaff
As the temperatures get cooler and cooler in Flagstaff, many of the desert and high desert areas around town turn into great destinations for day trips from Flagstaff. For instance, you can check out archaeological sites or take a hike in the Verde Valley or Sedona, you can learn about the Northern Sinagua culture at Wupatki, or explore a volcanic cinder cone at Sunset Crater. You can visit an ancient tropical forest at Petrified Forest or bask in the sun in Page and Lake Powell, or of course enjoy the splendor of the Grand Canyon.
So, what are some of your favorite things to do in Flagstaff in October? Tell us in the comments!
Until next time, keep exploring my friends!